Friday, November 5, 2010

Whirlwind!

What a couple of weeks! It has been so full of drama, fun and other types of excitement. It is almost over and I am happy for it. Although, the demented part of me wonders if I will be bored to go back to my regularly scheduled program. Not to say that my weeks aren't normally full and slightly chaotic.

I am part of a Belly Dance troupe and we have a performance tomorrow. This is a good thing as we are trying to make a good impression on the community as well as the public at large. (We hope to hear the jingle of coin, that we are not wearing, hit our baskets soon!) The craziness began when we realized we had to make some sort of troupe costumes when our costumer got a new job and had to jet out of town. Her vision for us still needs to be stitched together and final fitted. While we are excited for her amazing work to be on us for a performance, this Saturday's performance for the Middle Eastern Culture and Dance Association's Fall Festival will not see us dance naked! Let the Crazy Begin!

The fantastic thing with this particular group of women is that we figure out what we need to do and do it. Every single gal has at least one talent to share and most of us have overlapping skills. Very Helpful when the group needs to get a project done FAST.

A ten minute conversation on the Monday after we found out we could be naked for this performance yielded beautiful results. I cannot post the rendering at the time of this post since we will be debuting the costume tomorrow. I will say that this artistic rendering made almost all the gals in the troupe emit an unsolicited 'Wow!'. We are so talented. Decision made, it was now time to get to the business of cutting fabric and sewing together these beautiful creations.

This is where I tell you all that WE as individuals have a tendency to try to do everything on our own. Asking for help is a skill we are all still learning. (I do not pretend to be good at this at all, I know my faults.) A couple of us had to remind our fashion designer/silk expert/costumer/dancer extraordinaire (Zahira) that she was NOT putting these costumes together for us all on her own. Each gal was asked to put a couple of simple pieces together, and I volunteered to help with the more complicated pieces and pieces that needed to be dyed. I still have some peacock coloring under a couple of my nails and on the heel of my hand. It will be gone by tomorrow afternoon. I swear!

This project, as of this post, is not entirely complete as a couple of us need to put the finishing touches on bras or coats. But I am proud of us for pulling together and being as close to done as we are before dinner today! For us gals with super busy schedules and kids to get this together and done in two weeks time is Awesome in my humble opinion. I truly believe we are a gifted group of determined and talented women. To top this off, everyone that pitched in did so without any whining or complaint! We are truly a Phenomenal group! No one can convince me differently. We are also a group of nutters and not one of us would disagree. :)

The next few posts will come from snippets of conversation or comments made during the work of these last couple of weeks. Zahira and I are looking for a cartoonist for a few comic strips of these adventures. As well as other behind the scenes moments. Be Very Afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment